Back in the day…47 chapels were built on naval air stations throughout the United States. These houses of worship were used for non-denominational services. So over the course of the many years of their service, particularly during World War II, hundreds of thousands of naval airmen and base staff worshiped in these simple yet beautiful structures.
One is left.
The last remaining naval chapel resides in The Glen, the North Shore’s premier lifestyle community in Glenview, Illinois. The Glen was built on the former Naval Air Station Glenview after the base was decommissioned and sold to the village. It consists of over 2,000 homes, nearly 5,000 residents, scores of shops and restaurants, two golf courses, the Kohl Children’s Museum, Gallery Park, Lake Glenview, and numerous beautiful neighborhoods each built by a different developer.
The Glen’s chapel, now called Schram Memorial Chapel, was moved from its original location, and rebuilt at the corner of Patriot Blvd and Chestnut Drive; it is across the street from the highly regarded Attea Middle School. It is the cornerstone of a housing development called – appropriately – Chapel Crossing which houses 676 residents living in 167 single family homes.
Today the chapel is available for rent for a variety of events. It is particularly popular as a venue for weddings, but it is also used extensively for baptisms, christenings, memorial services, Eagle Court of Honor ceremonies, and Bar & Bat Mitzvahs. The main chapel has pew seating for 150; and on the lower level there is auditorium-style seating for 140 or banquet-style seating for 90. To make reservations or to gain additional information you can call the Glenview Park District at 847-521-2562.
There is a lot to love about The Glen. For information about homes for sale, please contact Glen resident Margaret Ludemann who is a Realtor with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, 847-401-1802 or by email email@example.com.